MHIC# 83262              

Remodeling and Home Design               


Licensing & Permit Information

  • A contractor or subcontractor who holds a license under the Maryland home improvement law is not required to hold a construction license issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court. (www.marylandtaxes.com)
  • New home builders must register with the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General. (www.oag.state.md.us)
  • Contractors must display their home improvement license number on all of their home improvement contracts, trucks, and advertisements.
  • Home improvement contracts cannot require the payment of more than one third of the total contract price at the time of signing the contract.
  • Arbitration clauses in contracts must be clearly disclosed and initialed by both parties.
  • Licensees must notify the Executive Director of the Commission within 10 days of a change of address, trade name or ownership of the business by certified mail, return receipt requested.
  • Checks sent to the commission with applications go directly to a bank due to auditing requirements. A cancelled check is not proof of licensure. Only the hard copy of the actual license is proof of licensure.

Tips for Homeowners

    • To make sure the contractor you choose is licensed. It is a criminal offense to do home improvements without a license and there is no protection from the Guarantee Fund for the homeowner who uses and unlicensed contractor.
    • Find license status


  • Call 410-230-6309 or 1-888-218-5925. Ask if complaints have been filed against a contractor and whether they have been resolved or are still open.
  • Request references from prospective contractor-check them!
  • If the contractor is providing lead paint abatement services, see if the contractor is accredited to do this work. Call 410-537-3825.
  • Get a copy of the contractor's current liability insurance certificate.
  • Always get a written contract.
  • Pay no more than 1/3 of the contract price as down payment.
  • If a building, or any other type of, permit is needed ask to see it before work starts.

Request a consult or more information

Your information will never be sold or given to a third party.